We're Never Going Home

I've been travelling for a year now.  The very concept of a place called home seems distant.  When I began this trip I would tell people, if they asked, that my intention was to travel for two or three years consecutively.  It seemed like a far stretch of the imagination during the first few months, but as time passed, my mind became more flexible and today I am in touch with this very real possibility.  To take it one step further I sometimes pretend that I'm never going home.  Just for a moment, to forget where I came from, where I am going, and why.

Who am I?
If I came to exist in this moment, who would I be?  A thick layer of dust has accumulated over the years,  sedimentary  likes and dislikes, limiting beliefs and assumptions.  When I wash them away with awareness, I'm left with a clean slate. 
I am nobody.
I am the possibility of an open mind.
I am an enthusiastic subject of the law of change.
I am an organic example of the evolutionary experiment commonly known as life.

Free from the past, I turn my focus to the now.

And I am a creator, painting careful brush strokes on the cosmic canvas.  I appreciate the beauty and the subtle nuances in texture and hue.  I am curious to see what happens next, but I never know.  Every day is a surprise party!

This is why I'm never going home.  I'm walking away from a self definition based on the passed.  I changed my mind and my mind changed me.  When I return to the place where I was born, you'll be shaking hands with a stranger.

"I am not what happened to me.  I am what I chose to become." Carl Jung?

No fixed adress

Comments

Popular Posts