Awakening the Spirit

Agama is a sort of yoga university with branches in a handful of countries around the world.  My first experience with them was over two years ago in Southern Mexico.  There I participated in a month long intensive course with 200 hours of practise and instruction in yoga.  I was enthralled by the esoteric teachings, and my enthusiasm for the yoga practise was encouraged by the community.  In that one month I learned the basics of yoga, enough to whet my appetite for more.

Two years later I returned for more.  To the same school in a different location, this time on the beautiful island of Koh Phangan (also known as paradise), situated off the East coast of Thailand.  I enrolled for 3 month of classes.  And I learned something.  So here I would like to share with you a bit about yoga in general, and about the Agama experience in particular. 

Yoga means Union.  Its practise is aimed towards the rising of consciousness through the use of body postures and meditation.  Its a system of methods for cleansing the energetic channels to allow life energy to flow free and abundantly, then to sublimate this energy into higher, more refined forms until it finally transforms into pure consciousness.  The state of pure consciousness is Enlightenment.  Enlightenment is Union with the Great Spirit.

The search for enlightenment brings people from around the world to study at Agama.  This is why we hold awkward positions for long minutes, with our attention focussed on the inward flow of energy.  We eat carefully and avoid violence and so that we may better sit still for meditation.

Agamas curriculum is based on the traditional Tantric texts of India and Tibet, but its scope is wider than that.  It has been modernized to some extent so it will be more efficient and credible in this era.  Its open to learn from science and psychology, from the Bible and the Buddha.  I appreciate this open minded approach to Spirituality.   I also enjoy the campus life,  with its socializing (and so much gossip), devotional singing, group practise on the beach.  Being part of a community give support for practise and also provides opportunities for fun.

While enlightenment is the peak experience that yoga aims for, there are many positive effects along the way.  In the beginning a yogi may experience increased self confidence, clarity of mind, and improved health, strength and willpower.  These are effects that I have witnessed in myself.  Further along the path it may be possible to develop supernatural abilities like clairvoyance, levitation, telepathy, and a very long lifespan.  One day...

For now, I am happy with yoga as a wholesome lifestyle, and an effective tool for self development.  I imagine that I will find my way back to Agama eventually.  There is still so much to learn, but there's no need to hurry.   Spiritual awakening is the inevitable evolution of consciousness.  Its just a matter of time...

For more information on all Agama has to offer go to www.agamayoga.com


Comments

Popular Posts