Learn To Do By Doing


Shlomi called me up, "Hey Bro, you want to work this afternoon?  Make a little money?"

I said, "Sure"

"Allright, I'll pick you up in five."

 I never thought to ask I would need to do.  I was searching for a job, and a job found me.  What luck.

Six minutes later he pulled up in a big van with "SkyTrek Paragliding" painted on the side. 

The moment my door closed, we were off, driving as in a hurry.  I asked him what was going on and he explained that they were taking a group for a flight, and they needed an extra driver. 

That extra driver was me.

I played it cool and ignored the fact that I had but little driving experience.  I have never owned a car.  I've never had more than 3 passengers.  And the only manual transmissions I've ever used were on tractors.  With the motto "Learn to do by doing" on my mind, I decided to wait until it was too late to back out before I mentioned anything. 

So Shlomi is cruising around like a professional, and I'm watching carefully to see how it's done.  He accelerates easily, shifting gears without a catch.  He shoulder checks before changing lanes, finds a parking space from a mile away, and rolls gently to a stop.  I sit there in awe while he hops out and opens the door for the passengers. 

Suddenly there are seven people in the van.  The stakes are rising, but I'm still playing the game.

We drive quickly to the rendez vous point.  This is the place where I'm supposed to take over and drive.  I figured this was as good a time as any to break the news; but I do it quietly, to avoid undermining the confidence of the passengers. 

So I'm sitting in the drivers seat.  This is getting real.  I'm recieving instructions which are simple enough:
"Drive along this road until you see a sign for the landing site.  Then turn left, follow the road to the parking lot, and then wait there."

"But hey Shlomi", I venture sheepishly, "I've never actually driven one of these", I say, pointing at the shift-stick. 
"Never,? Or just not in New Zealand?", there's an undertone of concern in his voice.
"Well, I've driven a manual tractor a few times.  Like 5 years ago..."
"So you can handle it?"
"Yeah, I can probably manage."

So he turns and gets into another vehicle and drives away.  I wait, breathing deeply until everybody has left except for this motorhome full of tourists who are waiting to follow me.  

I turn the key and the van fires up.  I press the clutch and shift into first gear.  With my foot on the gas I release the clutch, but my timing is all wrong, and I stall.

"Sorry guys, It's been a while since I've driven a manual" I explain to the guys in the back seat.

I try again, without success. 

One of the guys asks me "How long ago did you do this?"

"A while" I say. "I kind of forget how.  Do you have any tips on how to get it moving?"

"Is the parking brake on?"

I don't know.  I never checked.  Where is it?  Oh there.  Yeah, it's on allright.  Silly me.  Pull and turn.Okay. Here we go. Right? Wrong.

I start up again and stall.  I'm thinking the passengers confidence is already ruined, so in desperation I ask, " Have any of you guys driven a manual?"

"Yeah", said Andrew the Aussie.

"Maybe it would be better if you came up here and drove."

So I moved to the passenger seat, and Andrew jumped in as captain.  His friends thought this was pretty funny.  I was busy explaining that I don't really work for SkyTrek, and thier pilots are highly professional.
 More than anything I'm feeling relieved.  We make it down the road and to the parking lot.  I ask a few questions about driving along the way, and I'm almost ready to try again.

There was nobody around when we arrived, but the parachutes had been deployed, and would be landing in a few minutes.  When everybody arrives, they pack thier things and somebody says it's time to go back up.  I think this is my time to shine.  So I get into the drivers seat with and the van fills with bodies.  At the last moment one of the pilots comes to my door and tells me that we're in a hurry, so he can drive up, and I can drive back down.  I accept the offer gladly, and scoot over to the middle. 

On the way up I get busy.  Cell reception is good up here on the mountain, so I connect to the internet and find some instructions for driving standard vehicles on WikiHow.  There was the answer in Sixteen Easy Steps.  By the time we reach the top I finally understand.

The view from the top is amazing.  I almost wished that I hadn't learned how to drive so I could just stay up here and take it all in.  I'm supposed to wait for the paragliders to take off, and then I can drive down.  When theres only the head pilot left, he tells me I can go down. 

I'm nervous in front of an audience, but I pull myself together and concentrate.   I started up.  Pressed the clutch.  Pulled off the parking brake.  Said a short prayer.  Shifted to first, and simultaneously raised the clutch while lowering the gas.  And the van lurched forward.  It actually moved!  Thank you Wiki How.  Thank you Jesus.  Today is a good day.

And then  I drove down the hill.  I thought I was doing very well, but when I got out there was a slight burning brake smell.  I did another drive and then it was over.  Somebody drove me home.  They didn't say thanks.  They never paid me.  I never followed up.  But I learned how to drive a manual.  And I saw the world from Coronet Peak.  Today is a good da
y.


Comments

Popular Posts