Home Is Where The Dogs Are

“Outside of a dog, a book is man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.”
Groucho Marx (comedian)




Meet Lucy and Waffles.  I'm taking care of these adorable dogs and sharing their home while their owner is away.  I wonder: Do they really love me, or do I smell like bacon?  Every time I lay down to read a book, these guys are all over me.  Maybe they're just jealous because they don't know how to read.  More likely they just miss their best friend.  And I probably smell like bacon.  

 I lucked out with this place, and I'm so happy to have found a home.  There are way more people wanting to spend the winter in Revelstoke than there are rooms to keep them.  I had just given up with my search for a room to rent before I got the e-mail.  I bought a couple of big comfy chairs for my patio and an old lamp with a black panther base.  My plan was to live in my trailer and tough out the cold and spend a lot of time out of doors with a jacket on.  My camper is a little on the small side, measuring 13' x 6.6'.  It has about 12 square feet of floor space and I can only stand up straight underneath the skylight.  Not the best place for a dance party.  Two people make a mosh pit... So I thought maybe I could build a snow fort addition with a fire pit and everything was going to be alright.


Anyways, I had lost all hope to find a better place.  I had sent emails to dozens of ads on Kijiji and the Revy Rentals Facebook group and received many replies saying the room had been rented to somebody else.  One of those e-mails was from a couple looking for somebody to look after their dogs for a few months while they were away in exchange for a cheap place to stay.  I jumped on it, said it sounded awesome.  And they got back and said that they had a friend who just got to town and was looking for a place to stay and that he would take the room.  They would let me know if anything changed.  And I played it cool.  Said that was fine and that I'd be around if they needed me.  

And as it turns out they did.  Their friend got called to a job somewhere else.  And the runner up was me.  I got an email the day before my months rent at the campground expired,  met up with the homeowner that evening and moved in the next day.   It was quite a home improvement.  I'm so happy to be inside.  Life is great and I'm grateful.  

Also, my roomates Lucy and Waffles are really rad.  They're always excited to see me and happy for some cuddles.  Although they never clean up after themselves and they don't respect my personal space very well, I forgive them everything because they're so freaking cute.  It must be nice to be a dog sometimes!  I feel at home in the dogs' house.  

Comments

Popular Posts