Bread, Butter, and Bananas


I wonder which has a greater cost - shipping bananas to a Canadian or shipping a Canadian to the bananas?

In our present economy food is being transported constantly around the world to satisfy the appetites of those who can pay for it.  The opposite hemispheres supply each other with fresh fruit, having growing seasons at different times of the year. 

Last November I left Canada, and flew half way around the world to New Zealand.  The weather was getting colder when I left, and when I arrived it was becoming warmer.  By switching hemispheres I moved from Autumn to Spring, from harvest time to the start of the growing season.  Here I can eat fresh fruit and vegetables, locally sourced from New Zealands grand agricultural base. 

They don't actually grow bananas here, they come from Ecuador and the Phillipenes.  I've even bought some lentils which came from Canada.  But often I'm buying in season products from roadside stands- tomatoes, potatoes, cabbage, apples, pears.  I'm picking blackberries from bushes and plums off of trees.  If I was a scientist I might make an experiment to put this question to the test.  But I havn't the time, so I will continue to speculate.  I don't think it will cancel out the environmental costs of  flying thousands of kilometers, but I imagine that it helps.  At least theres that.

Comments

Popular Posts